Monday, July 5, 2010

Backstreet's Back!

A week or so ago, I had a reunion w/my Backstreet Boys. It was like going home and visiting some of my oldest and dearest friends. The truth is (and you might want to prepare yourself for some potentially shocking news): I am a groupie. In fact for a couple of years I "went on tour" with them. One week I actually saw them perform in Charlotte, Atlanta, Philly and DC. Seriously! In fact, one of my favorite life stories revolves around them....I was teaching high school in Virginia and I lied to my department chair about being sick so I could go to MTV in NYC and experience the boys filming a special TV show. Then when back at school, I was talking to my dept. chair and one of my students walked in and said "saw you on tv, Miss West!" ha!!!

We started the night at Appy Hour at Market Street Grill....yum!

Their songs are a soundtrack to my life. When I hear their music I am transformed to all sorts of events and experiences....it's weird how the songs crop up and before I know it I am thinking about all kinds of memories. Like every time I go to LAX I am secretly looking around for 5 guys in white suits dancing to 'I Want It That Way.'

Anyway tonight I went to the concert w/my 3 sisters. We have collectively seen them perform 30 times!! Watching the little girls have fun was one of the best parts of the night. And then Hillary (who endured the entire concert with a full-on migraine....no not the kind people say they have and then stay at work but the kind where you have to take 2 imitrex's and4 Excedrins but you get through it because that's how bad you want it) also brought on some great enjoyment when Brian told her he could see her sitting down and that she needed to get on her feet! ha!
Hillary, Ally, me and Lindsey

Other highlights for me tonight were:
  • Bigger--it sounded so good live!!
  • Larger Than Life (although a bit of a teaser the way they did it, I will always love it when they sing the video version of the song which is what they did)
  • Straight Through My Heart--still can't get enough of this song!
  • Oh and getting a text from my brother right before the concert that said "I will be late don't stay up and wait for me....I'm goin' to a place nearby, gotta go!" haha
Bedazzled hoodies....pretty much the only type I would wear. :)


Final bows...the saddest moment!

It was an amazing show!! And then on the way home, for the first time I was thankful for the I-15 construction when just as I started to slow down, I ran smack dab into the boys' buses!!

All the times that I've thought "If we could just find their buses, eventually they will have to stop for gas." And then there they were...and I was almost out of gas....so I couldn't even follow them to SoCal. Such a bummer! But amazing at the same time! It was truly an amazing night!!!

8 brilliant comments:

Lisa said...

Oh I love Backstreet Boys!! I love your stories abour being a groupie, it cracks me up.

I have to agree about hearing certain songs that bring back memories. Oh man, there is just to many. The One, I want it that way, As long as you love me, Get Another boyfriend, Larger Than life. Oh the good old days!!

Vanessa said...

Sounds so fun. Wish I could have been there to experience it with you. Especially now that Lillith is canceled.

Jill said...

Shannon! Sounds like you had a blast! Am laughing so hard at Jeff's text. AWESOME! I wish you did crash into their bus though because they would have had to stop and you could have gone inside to lie down due to the stress. Could you IMAGINE?!

Sharnee Torrents said...

WOW really!! The Backstreet boys, that's AMAZING!!! I love them too!! HOw completely super duper to have seen them!! ANd those bling hoodies! WOW!!!
Hope you are well,
Smiles Sharnee :0)

Deb Darby said...

Well Shannon I never would have picked you as a groupie LOL!

kkcc said...

I am so glad you went to the concert. That makes me happy.

Jodene said...

Loved your story .. I would never have picked you for a BSB groupie! How cool is that :) I love their stuff too, and loved your pics. Hopefully next time you go to one of their concerts you will fill up on gas first. lol

Angie said...

I didn't even know they were still around. :) You're too funny! That sounds like so much fun!!