Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Top Ten Tuesday: Albums

This week, the topic is favorite albums of all time. This topic has a special place in my heart because it is the foundation of my friendship w/Sina. :) Not because we have similar albums on our top 10 (I think we would if we listed our top 20) but because the first question I ever really asked her was "What are your top 5 albums of all time" and she immediately rattled them off. I was speechless....and I knew that was the beginning of a very deep and meaningful relationship! :)


1. Millennium, Backstreet Boys. I love this album. It's difficult to listen to w/out getting emotional. :) I bought it in Tokyo while on study abroad during graduate school.....yes....I made a few of my friends postpone our sightseeing so I could get it....that's how bad I wanted it. Needless to say, I got a few weird looks. :) I love these songs. I love these voices. And I love all the memories that are now attached to this music. Fave track: I Want it That Way.






2. Immaculate Collection, Madonna. Really, how could this album NOT be on every female Gen Xer's list? I can't think of another that defines my generation like this one. And even after my Rents had a sit down w/me about all the reasons Madonna is evil, I still love her. In fact, maybe that is why I love her. :) Fave track: Like a Prayer.







3. Black & Blue, Backstreet Boys. This album is a soundtrack of two of the funnest years of my life. Every single song has so many memories attached. Fave track: Get Another Boyfriend.







4. Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, Sarah McLachlan. Sarah's songwriting is so interesting--especially the lyrics. I just love this album....especially the wide range of songs and how different and amazing they all are. Fave track: Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.







5. Cowboy, Erasure. This album taps into the wonderful, difficult, emotional, and fabulous two years I spent in Provo. Fave track: In My Arms.









6. These are the Special Times, Celine Dion. This is the only Christmas album that I listen to during the year. I love all of Celine's songs because her voice is just so amazing. But this album is my favorite. Fave track: Happy Xmas (Was is Over).







7. Confessions on a Dance Floor, Madonna. I was totally skeptical that I could still love Madonna's music as much as the old reliables. This CD completely surprised me....I love love love the danciness of it....not to mention the pink glitter shoes and mirrorballs that are everywhere on the album artwork. It's so much fun and also just so interesting to listen to. Fave track: Forbidden Love...and Hung Up.





8. ABBA Gold. This music was so instrumental to my life as an Aggie. I think their sound is completely genius. This album is one reason why I am sure I was suppposed to be an adult in the 70s. Fave track: Lay All Your Love On Me.








9. On the Radio, Donna Summer. Hill sent me this album from her mission and it was instant and true love. This is one of the few albums that I can listen to from start to finish w/out skipping a track. Fave track: Love to Love You Baby (of course! :)





10. Mirrorball, Sarah McLachlan. Sarah's voice live is sooooooooo amazing!!! I think it takes an amazing artist to sound better live than on a CD. Plus after you've seen a concert, hearing the live version is an automatic ticket back to that moment. Fave track: I Love You.....and Fear.

5 brilliant comments:

Nate and Sina said...

I could listen to all of those records and just relish the time. Great list!! And who doesn't have some memory attached to the Backstreet Boys, anyone who says otherwise is just lying. I love your unapologetic appreciation for musicians who others laugh about (Celine Dion). Love TTT!

Vanessa said...

You have a great list! Donna Summer of course is the best one of all! I vividly remember the talk your parents had with you about the evils of Madonna. You were so distraught and you followed their advice, only for a little while of course!

jaimey said...

Happy (late) TTT! :) I love TTT, too. And your list is awesome. I never knew you loved Donna Summer, but it makes complete sense. :) I'm going to have to check out Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor. It sounds amazing. :)

Tricia said...

ok...When Allyson came to the MISH she was ALL over Back street boys! I had no idea who they were! we sang "Love one Another" to the tune of "i want it that way" it was Fun and now I cant hear Back street boys or Love one another with out thinkin of "Westie woo"...that that was a fun Tid bit!

Heather said...

This is so cool! I'm going to have to check out that new album from Madonna. Anyway, most of these albums seem so happy and fun . . . like you! :-)