Saturday, May 9, 2009

Canberra, Part 2

And now for the actual event.....we started Friday morning VERY EARLY!!!! Here we are, in the last few minutes before 7am (that's what time we opened check-in and Memento Mall). L to R: Derek, Angie, Cindy & Amanda--the check-in crew.

In this next photo, you can see behind me there was a soda machine so I got my morning beverage for no less than 3 DOLLARS!!! That's right friends, a $3 can of soda (actually about $2 US). A 12 pack runs around $4....which makes it about $.33 for a can normally. Emma said $3 was cheap and she was right because a little later I found small bottles in the mall for $3.50.....anyway moving on....

Friday was filled with tons of fun activities--Main stage presentations....

...break-out classes (I taught Wise Investment w/a fabulous demo--Alison Charlton--who I somehow managed to NOT get one picture of!! DUH!), and we ended the day w/Manager's Reception.... Emma, me, Amanda...
Then Emma and I hit the shops---we had 1.5 hours until they closed--and that was only b/c it was the late night for shops (open til 9). Seriously--shops all close at like 5 or 6 on normal days. In 1.5 hours, I found 2 skirts, 2 pair of shoes, a fabulous pearl bracelet to wear to Lindsey's wedding, and a new pair of sunglasses. Plus we ran into the Western Australia ladies shopping too.....Skip, Ngaire, Me, Cherita & Jo....
Once the shops closed, we rendezvoused at Koko Black for some extremely delish hot cocoa (Amy Ealy, me & Emma)...

The other side of the table: Jeanette & Clare who are two of our contact center agents in Sydney. They all arrived Friday night and it was so great to finally meet them too!
And the end of the table: Hollie (facilitator in AUS) & Angie.
Saturday was equally awesome....we started w/breakout classes--this time my class was Demonstrator Theatre where I taught w/Makeesha Bye and Marelle Taylor--again no pictures. Booooooo! Then during the general session the Workshop Wow demonstrators presented--I got to work with them to help them prepare and so while we were setting up, we snapped this picture....Nicki Tidbold, Ngaire Anderson, Michelle Habib, moi & Shelli....
Of course I am not the tallest person in the world, but it's pretty rare that I am the shortest one in the picture! And I don't think anyone had heels on....

After general session, we cleaned up, packed up, then had a quick change in the bathroom. It was a frenzy of hairspray, glitter & of course flashes (from cameras of course).....
I did manage to obtain a picture w/Makeesha at the awards dinner....

It's tough to say what my favorite part of Convention is--but the actual awards ceremony definitely ranks towards the top. Just seeing the amazing accomplishments from the past year of all different demos makes me a bit emotional! This year I got to hand out some of the prizes---here's me and Amanda where we greeted demos as they came off stage and congratulated them with prizes....
That night, I finally fell into bed around 2:30am....to be awakened by my alarm @ 5!!! I was in the lobby by 5:30 and we were @ the airport by 6. They even put us on an early flight to Sydney because our 8am flight was going to be delayed....so we sat on the early flight....and watched the 8am flight leave us behind. That's right--delayed already! So it was back to the airport where we snapped this photo: Back to Front and L to R: Jason Gerber, Dave Baugh, Derek, Jason Hatton, Cindy, Pam, Jill, Amy, Deb (a demo from Melbourne), Shelli, me & Emma...
I finally got home around 5pm on Sunday--so the delays weren't too bad. But my luggage didn't show up til 4:45am on Tuesday morning (yes, they did call and wake me up). But at least it arrived!!!

And now to complete the story....Monday I went to lunch w/Hill & her two youngest--to one of my favorite spots--Einstein's Bagels--where I got 32 ounces of complete deliciousness for a mere $1.79!!!
And p.s. pretty much all soda in Utah is refillable--so it's really all-you-can-drink....but I can walk out w/32 oz. in hand! And that's why $3 cans shock me. :)

And here are 2 more awesome things that I got to experience at Einstein's....

Is that an amazing welcome home gift, or what????

12 brilliant comments:

Jeanelle said...

I just emailed you! :) I love the trip report -- what a fun job you have. Except, I would be annoyed by only finding the DC in cans and having to pay so much. My fave place to go for drinks is Qdoba because they have limes and of course, free refills. Heavenly! I cannot believe your luggage was lost. Thank goodness they found it. My mom had her suitcase stolen at the airport on her way to NYC. She still misses some of the stuff she lost.

Marelle Taylor said...

Hey Shannon :o)
Just wanted to stop by and say it was soooo awesome working with you in Canberra. I had a ball (just like you said I would!) and I'm so glad I took the opportunity when you asked me! No pics on my blog either, unfortunately, but lots of memories!
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Shannon,
Looks like you had a ball here and I'm so glad you got to see some of Canberra. It is a nice place even if a little chilly and gives me chill blains.LOL. I loved working with you and it was great to meet you. I had such fun even though I was soooooo nervous. Unfortunately my camera got very little use in Canberra but I'm hoping Mel has a photo of us together. I'm sure someone took one. When I find it I'll let you know. Can I become a blog follower too??? :-). Amanda is really lovely.
Alison

Vanessa said...

What a Diet Coke catastrophe.

I'm glad your luggage made it back...to lose all those shoes would have been a definite catastrophe.

LeAnn said...

Such a cute welcome home!!! I am so jealous of your job.....

Anonymous said...

Hey Gorgeous Girl,
I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face after reliving Canberra just one more time! I have to say I'm disappointed I didn't find that Hot Chocolate place though - looks like my kinda thing!! Maybe Convention 2011 can be in Canberra again so I get a second chance!! Thanks for some wonderful memories.
Love Ngaire

Claire said...

Yeah, so glad I found your blog (and another Diet Coke addict). Your post from March about the restaurant cracked me up. So great to have you in Australia - come back soon!

Anonymous said...

cool to see your AU posts! i'm jealous, yet happy for you. glad your blog is public again.

amanda

♥ Kristy Woods ♥ said...

Canberra convention was my very first and sooo fabulous loved it! I LOVED all your shoes OMG gorgeous!! I was eyeing them off the whole time, I LOVE sparkles hehe.
Thanks for great presentations and a great convention, hope your back again next year :)
Kristy
I have pics from convention on my blog, lol but mainly of me and my roomie and a few others too.

Keesh said...

OH Shannon what a fab story of your time in Canberra! I am still pinching myself that it is all over! Too sad. It was absolutely wonderful to see you again and of course to do a presentation with you too! Hopefully the time will pass quickly before we see each other again! Special memories!
Love Keesh x

Jen said...

This blog update was awesome, brings back memories all over again.
Sorry for you about Qantus though, they are not in your good books i can tell!
I was actually saying that the Convention trip was the best Qantus staff flight i had ever had, normally they are grumpy or not too friendly, but hey...maybe it was all the SU gals making the atmosphere they liked:)
Well you take care and happy SU!

Nate and Sina said...

I think I have told you this already, but I heart Chaz. I just want to kiss his cheeks and make him laugh. Your sweeties are lovely, but you know that already!