Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book #3

3 down; 9 to go. I finished Outlander last night. And I have barely thought of anything else all day. I loved it soooooooooo much. At least I will say that I loved the first 750 pgs as much as any written word. I loved the risks Diana took--taking things a little too far. I started imagining men in kilts and I kid you not that I actually saw a man wearing one in the Memphis airport last Sunday!!! Weird coincidence, eh?!



But it was the last 100 pages that I am thinking about still. Still pretty much in shock. There were 3 things that happened, which caused me to feel horrified, devastated, and literally nauseous! And then I also felt disappointed and mad that such things would happen to my new favorite characters.

Nonetheless, I must ask myself: how many books have I read where I just didn't feel a damn thing for the characters? Lots. And so despite the shock I am still feeling, I know I will read book 2 before long. And I will go to Scotland sooner than later. And I will never again think of a man in a skirt as a feminine thing. :) And I will hope that the movie continues to be delayed until there is an actor that could actually play Jamie Fraser (seriously I do not think it's possible to properly cast him)!

With movies I often say that I don't have to have a perfect ending w/everything tied in a pretty bow for me to like it, and I am learning that I feel the same way about books. This book is NOT for the faint of heart....but it will send you on an unexpected thrill ride in which you may never be the same!

8 brilliant comments:

Vanessa said...

When you host your read-a-thon, I'll bring the snacks and nap while you read.

Shannon said...

Haha good one V! I would expect nothing else!!

Jen said...

Wow Shannon i havent popped by in a while and lved catching up on ur psts, awesme thanks fr saig i lved every miny of thm all:)

Anonymous said...

I was vera happy you liked in the end. Thorough review there lassie!

Hillary

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't put it in my top 3 books yet, but I like it a lot--maybe top 10. We'll see how the last 200 pages go. :)

BTW, I'm imaging Henry Cavill with red hair playing Jamie in the movie. What do you think?

Shiloh

Lyssa said...

This is my all time favorite series ever! Glad you're enjoying them. I can't wait for the next one.

Gail Kirby said...

Hi Shannon,

I am reading the final one now - An Echo in the Bone. Pretty good but looonngg!!! For some reason I keep thinking they will get Liam Neeson to play Jamie...

See you at Sydney convention :-)

A.R. said...

Shannon - thanks for another reading suggestion. I need another one, as I'm almost done with HP all over again! Hope AU is treating you well. If you think of it, tell Emma I say Hi the next time you see her!