Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fabulous Hour of Reality TV

Last night I experienced the most fabulous hour of reality TV (outside of SYTYCD, of course) maybe that I've ever seen! This is WHY reality TV is awesome and seeing this reminded me that most reality TV is no longer reality but staged.

Yes, I'm talking about the bachelorette--and before I lose you and you hit the "back" button, just give me a minute to explain. This is Graham:


He was my favorite of the 4 left (which isn't saying too much considering Deanna cut all my favorites long ago...but nonetheless I liked him best of those left). Only I felt like she put herself in a box w/her self-proclamations of "won't take chances this time around" that if she kept him the entire time, I would've been very disappointed in her.

So, she cut him. And then it went something like this:
Deanna: I can't take a chance on you b/c you aren't being open and honest and letting your guard down and you're leading me on.
Graham: You can tell yourself whatever you want to make yourself feel better but that's not the truth.
Deanna: All I wanted was for you to open up & let your guard down. The one person I was falling in love with couldn't tell me how he felt! (and it became a complete bawl-fest! silence. crying.)
Deanna: So it ends here.
Graham: (hands her a letter) I wrote down everything I wanted to say to you b/c I knew I wouldn't get the chance. You can burn it but it would mean a lot to me if you would read it someday. It's for you, not TV.....

AWESOME!! THIS IS HOW REALITY TV SHOULD BE!!! What is wrong w/the crazy TV execs that try to make it all rosy and beautiful? Reality TV should be surprising and shocking and devastating and interesting! What I loved was that she stayed true to herself and cut him....but that in his own timeframe he totally did open up and express his feelings to her in a letter!!! So oddly they surprised each other and became at odds for what they really wanted....I was sure she was fixin' to run back into the house and say she made a mistake!!

If you ask me, this kind of situation cannot be easily duplicated and that's why so much of reality TV these days is a complete bore. Don't you agree?

15 brilliant comments:

STEPHANIE said...

So I found your blog through Hillary's and have also been posting about SYTYCD and Bachelorette. I totally agree with you on the Graham thing! It was a totaly emotional episode-the way I like it. Hope you don't mind me lurking a bit-I love your opinions.

Lisa said...

Shannon,

Oh my gosh you said it perfectly. I had to watch it again last night because it was so good. I love Graham. He was also one of my favorties of the final four. And seriously how hot was he when they were playing basketball. Bowchickabowow!

Shannon P. said...

Shannon- That is funny to read your post because I felt the same way. I was sooooooooooo bummed. I really liked Graham. She will regret it.

Jalinda said...

Dang it! I can't believe I haven't been watching The Bachelorette this time around. I love that show. Shannon, You should be a writer or publicist for the show or something. I felt like I watched the whole awesome drama reading your synopsis.

Vanessa said...

Well, I guess I should have been watching! Dang it!

Palinista! said...

Are you Graham lovers crazy? Ok, maybe you're just not married. The whole time I'm watching him and watching her fall deeper and deeper for him I'm thinking "it's just infatuation Deanna, don't do it, it will fade, he's got issues, he'll break your heart" and then she totally had the guts to cut him and I loved it!

Shannon I think you are wrong, he didn't open up on "his own time" he opened up only when it was safe and it was over. He's a total wimp with Bradesque issues and all that so called "chemistry" would be gone within a year of marriage and she'd be stuck with a pouty, non-communicative, cocky, washed-up, second teir, allbeit cute, b-ball player. YOU GO GIRL!

Anonymous said...

Sandra N. said...
I usually stalk Vanessa's blog so when you mentioned the bachelorette. I just had to read what you had to say. I have re- watched that episode. It was the greatest. I love Graham. He is way hot. If she had to send him home, why not wait until after the night in the fantasy suite. Duh!!!

Jill said...

Graham is a dork. Sorry. He can not communicate and never validated her. Sounds like fun? No, thanks. The fact that he has zero relationship exp is another red flag!

Moving on: can't believe she picked Jesse! HE DOESN'T HAVE A JOB! Chemistry is great and all but I can't wait until SH** hits the fan and all he can offer is a piggy back while he skies down the mountain.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree w/ Jill. If she wanted one w/out a good job, she should have at least gone for looks! (i.e. Brian the big hot one w/ gray hair). I am very surprised at her choices, I just might have to stop watching the show after this season....
Lindsey

Shannon said...

while i very much appreciate ya'll commenting and sharing your opinions--i have to say that the more drama the better for me w/these shows!!! this is reality tv, not real life. big difference!! so bring on the unemployed, noncommittal types or whatever. how boring would the show be if they were all just normal?

having said all that, i realized what i disliked about this season was deanna, not the guys.

at least we'll always have trista & ryan, right? :)

Nate and Sina said...

Holy comments Batman. I thought you said no one was commenting these days.

Laurie P. said...

Speaking of comments... it has been about a month since we have seen a new post from you... Am I missing something here? do you have a new blog site? Are you on vacation? WTH? I stalk you! Now hurry up and post :)

Unknown said...

Shannon you haven't posted in forever! I've been waiting to hear what you thought about the ending of The Bachelorette!?!

Palinista! said...

peentz, i think you've broken my record for going the longest with out a new post. I know, I know, you are getting ready for convention . . .

Vanessa said...

Still, she needs to remember that all her blog stalkers are counting on some much needed Shannon blogging. Especially all of Elton's co-workers that stalk her blog.