Saturday, December 26, 2009

Venezia

On Sunday morning, our last day in Florence, we said goodbye to Amanda around 5:30 am. So sad to say goodbye....I certainly missed her for the next couple days.

We headed to the train station early afternoon, after saying a very, very reluctant goodbye to Florence.
And soon learned the very, very hard way that we had assigned seats on the train (oops!). So after a painful rearranging, we were able to stow our luggage, and find out seats.

And we made a new friend too....poor guy was assigned to share a seat w/3 crazy American women!
Off the train....and onto the public water taxi....

And after much effort we found our hotel....
Our last day in Italy, we buzzed all over Venice....just outside our hotel starting off the morning...

On our way over to Murano to see and buy some glass... Lunch was a delicious pepperoni and french fry pizza! Really, it was tasty!
Us in Piazza San Marco, w/St. Mark's church/cathedral/bascilica (who can remember?). I love this photo b/c there is just so much going on....
The Bridge of Sighs....this wasn't the only time we saw Italy sell out to the highest bidder. I think these buildings were actually under construction but this display is quite the opposite of the usual fabric covering that looks like the actual building....
Cruising down the Grand Canal....

Lisa & I wanted to take a picture with the canal and palazzos behind us in this amazing spot...but this gondalier was just hanging out there. So we got in place and then I just turned to him and held out my arm inviting him into our picture. And i am not exaggerating when I say he rolled his eyes, then took one step towards me to get into the picture. Hilarious! But it sure made for a cool photo....
Self-portrait whilst on the steps of the Rialto Bridge....Grand Canal in the background...

When we were in Siena, we talked to a couple who had just left Venice and found themselves in the middle of high tide one night so they had to borrow boots from their hotel. I secretly hoped we would have the same situaion so that we could walk the catwalks which are all over. No such luck with high tide....but lucky for us, the catwalks were still set up....
Grand Canal at night....
Last meal in Italy. :( Sad. At least I brought home a few amazing rings, right? This one is glass...
Farewell, Italia...see you soon (I hope!).

4 brilliant comments:

Unknown said...

awesome pics! I love the canal at night-I liked the other night pic too where everything looked like it was on fire or whatever it was-so fun!!

Jeanelle said...

Oh how I've loved these posts -- what an amazing trip! I especially loved the pic of you sitting on the bridge overlooking the canal. Beautiful!

Vanessa said...

I love your hotel room! SO AWESOME!

Jill said...

Shannon! I am so sad we didn't get to see each other more while I was home! I posted a pic of you on my blog though...! This trip looks like it was a blast and you, of course look like a movie star! I LOVE the red scarf!!
xxo