Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Year's Resolution

This year I've made a new and very different resolution. I had a presentation in January that was on goal setting--and the lady I worked with taught me that goals should be something that you are excited about!!

I don't think I've ever set one goal in my life that I was very excited about. :)

So this year that has changed! My goal in 2010 is to read 12 books. I've gone though my whole life reading maybe one or two books a year so that will be an AMAZING accomplishment! The cool thing is--as soon as I made the goal, I wanted to read all the time!!! It's a very weird feeling for me.

So my January book wass the Sleeping Beauty proposal...
Sleeping Beauty
I was very excited about this b/c I loved the Cinderella Pact by the same author (which was one of the most fun and clever chick lit books I've read). But there were very few traces of similarity, if any. I didn't really like this book and struggled to get through it.

But I finished it and I still have 10 days of January left to get going on another. Next up: The Help and I still need to finish Breaking Dawn....

8 brilliant comments:

Jeanelle said...

Okay, add "The Actor and the Housewife" by Shannon Hale to your list and consider "Something Borrowed" followed by "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin if you haven't read those already (Something Borrowed is one of my most favorite books ever but not one I recommend to most LDS friends...I think you could handle it. LOL)

Dawn Rapsas said...

Hey Shannon,

Just want to let you know that I totally admire you setting this goal. I NEVER read for pleasure, for many many reasons and all my my own choice. I am rooting for you to reach your goal by Dec 3st 2010!! It always feels awesome to reach a goal you set, especially when along the way you just want to give up because it's just nto fun. YOU can do it!! I Believe in YOU!!

Have a FAB day!!
Dawn

That Girl said...

Great goal! I love to read, too. I can't believe you haven't made it through Breaking Dawn yet. It was my favorite one in the series.

Jenn said...

How exciting! I would love to see and hear about each book. If you need any suggestions I have some that are fun and interesting....just let me know.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cindy Major said...

I'm looking forward to reading your book reviews in the upcoming year. Too bad your first pick ended up disappointing... If you are still looking for book ideas, I would like to point out Jodi Picoult. She's my latest find and I go through her books for one cover to another. My Sister's Keeper is one of her well-known title (especially now that they've come out with the movie). Not something to read in public, though - it had me crying my eyes out at the end...

Can you Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella was another enjoyable Chick Lit read.

Have fun and good luck with your resolution!
Cindy
xox

Anonymous said...

The Help is wonderful. You will have no trouble getting through it. +

Kristi said...

Hi Shannon! I haven't seen you in forever but I do still look at your blog and think about you!

I love your goal of reading 12 books this year. I read The Cinderella Pact because of your review, and I thought it was really fun. I loved "The Help" so I want to hear what you think of it too.

It was fun to see your Leadership pictures - even though it's been years now since I was at an event I think to myself, I should be in those pictures! :) (and no, that's not a recruiting opening!) :)

Hope you're doing well!