Saturday, February 9, 2008

Dayglo!

Last night, I went to the Mika concert with two of my sisters and two of our friends. The concert was In the Venue--which was actually a pretty cool place to go to a concert (despite the sketchiness of the location) because it was so small that everyone had a great view. When we arrived, an hour after the official start time, there was still a line all the way around the block. So we waited until the line was moving before going out into the cold. :) It was a great opportunity for people watching! Here we are on our way in...(L to R) Lindsey, moi, Hillary, Shelly & Natalie.


Sitting in the car and people watching for an hour made me sad that I didn't come to the concert decked out in dayglo. I'd say only about 1% of the crowd did. Dayglo is a term that basically means flourescent colors--b/c it evolved from flourescent lights or something. Lindsey taught me about this--so thanks Pop! I snapped one photo while we were waiting in the car....there were lots of cute girls in leg warmers and t-shirt dresses and it was so fun to watch! And of course we knew Mika wouldn't disappoint--he'd have his on for sure!

Just before we went inside, we learned that Mika's equipment was stuck in Idaho somewhere, so instead of canceling the concert, they gave us all a refund of 10 bucks and did a 45 min acoustic show. Mika unplugged! haha Probably hard to imagine considering all the electronic everything he has in his music....but we were optimistic and once we got inside--the stage was truly a vision of happiness!

I took this pic from back behind the bar, just after the show started. You can see the fabulous chandeliers and disco balls (two of my favorite things)--and you can also see Mika's back--white shirt and the fabulous electric blue skinny jeans that he wore on SYTYCD--which was my first introduction to him.


Here's the front view of the stage. The drummers were sitting in these huge throne like chairs. They seemed like just a bunch of funky people, playing and having a good time!

Here's a clip of Billy Brown. This isn't my fave song but it was really a fun one to hear live--and the crowd really got into it!

Another one of my fave parts was towards the end when several fans got up on stage in the left corner and started dancing and singing. They stayed there for several songs--no one told them to get down and they didn't try to attack Mika or anything. It was so awesome!

The biggest disappointment of the evening was when he played "Relax (take it easy)" about the 3rd song in....and it was totally slow and acoustic-ish. It was pretty cool, actually, but I was slightly devastated that I didn't hear the real version, which was pretty much the main reason I wanted to go to the concert! I'm putting the song on my playlist so you're probably listening to it right now and noticing how cool it is. :)

In the end, it was such a great night--just the right amount of time & fun--I am so glad we went!!

7 brilliant comments:

Palinista! said...

Wow peentz lots of good deets there. If I forget anything about the night I can just read your blog for remembrance. It was lots of funky fun with all the 80's peeps and boys making out with boys and best of all the spumoni with hot fudge, mmmmmmm. Thanks for making me go.

Vanessa said...

Wow, I really wish I would have gone now! Sounds like an awesome time!

Anonymous said...

I read about this show Saturday morning in the paper and thought for a sec about going (but ended up going sledding and watching the 5th element instead...). Anyhow, sounds like it was fun. It was cool to read your recap. Mika acoustic sounds like a trip, though. PS. You look great!

Amanda

Jill said...

Looks like a blast! And hello...you are disappearing! You look fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! That sounds so fun! I loved those pants he was wearing on SYTYCD! I bet they were even better in person!=)

Heather said...

It sounds like such a fun time! That sucks about their equipment . . .who knew that a acoustic version of "Relax" was possible. LOL

Kristi said...

Sounds like a fun night out!
I love the new look of your blog!