Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Total Eclipse of the Heart!

This past weekend I finally finished Eclipse--the 3rd book in the Twilight series. Needless to say, this nearly 700 page book was so hard for me to get through!!And now that I'm finished, I have only one question to ask myself: WHAT WAS STEPHENIE THINKING?? Twilight is my all time favorite book!! I've never loved reading--and Twilight is pretty much the only book I've read where I was wrapped up in an alternate world, escaping from my life as I know it. :)


So you can imagine my chagrin when the series took an unexpected turn to werewolfdom. I am still asking myself "WHY????"
  • Why did she set us up for an amazing vampire series only to completely change mid-way through?
  • Why did there have to be a love triangle created?
  • Why ruin a perfect escape by making it tangled and complicated and waaaay too human?
  • Why can't Bella decide to be a vampire without overanalyzing every side of this decision?
  • These are vampire books, for heaven's sake--why waste time trying to make them real life?
Not only did New Moon include 300 pages w/out Edward that we will never get back (thanks Sina for my fave quote)....but Eclipse just continued down this path of confused, conflicting and boring stories. I just have to wonder if I am missing something here b/c there are people who seem to still like these books.

The Twilight movie characters were unveiled this week and I realized I am still not over Henry Cavill not being picked to be Edward. I can't even begin to process the rest of the cast....of course I will still see the movie but I'm nervous about it. I hope at least the music is good--I'm putting two options for the trailer in my playlist so ya'll can hear. :)

In the end, I can't say I regret the whole thing b/c I will always have Twilight. And I do believe an author has the right to write whatever she/he wants....I just think they all should stop making comments like "I am a character writer" b/c for one that is just stupid. And for two, aren't all characters part of the author from the beginning anyway? (sigh) Whatever!

10 brilliant comments:

Nate and Sina said...

Beautiful new page! Definately Shannon.

Boo Stephenie, she doesn't know her characters! She gave us Edward in all his sparkling glory and then ripped him away from us and tried to replace his magic with a glorified DOG!! PUHLEEZ!

amylouwhosews said...

I need a lesson in customizing my blog page....

I think Bella is an idiot and totally wishy-washy. I'm not a huge fan of the writing of these books either - but of course I've read all of them! The story is enthralling - but if I had to hear her describe any of the characters with the same 5 adjectives again, I think I'll puke. I get it - Edward is an Adonis - I don't need it drilled into my head.

well there are my 2 cents!

Vanessa said...

Love the new look! Very YOU!

I can't get through this last book. Seriously! I agree w/everything you just said. And yes Sina, I agree. I hate werewolves, they are stinky and hairy and yucky.

Vanessa said...

ps, love the music too!

Anonymous said...

Shan (this Caro), so, first - why am I NOT one of your fav people????? sosad. Second - love the look of your page - which stamp is it? (can't read the words very well, though) Third - Shan. you love Edward. Stephenie created him. Eclipse isn't Twilight. BUT, it's still fun to read about Edward. I'm hated Bella forever. My biggest complaint - why isn't Bella mute?? Love you!

Heather said...

Eclipse is still on my to-read pile and now I don't think I'm in any hurry! Sorry it was so disappointing. I'm glad for the head's up because people have been really hush-hush about it with me.

Unknown said...

I too, have not made it through the last book. I may just have to reread Twilight before the movie to get me excited.

Palinista! said...

Ok, while I somewhat agree with your analysis on ECLIPSE it's still better than say ME and EMMA or in your case THE TIME TRAVELERS WIFE. I wouldn't call Jacob a love triangle, but that would've been interesting if Bella would've done it with him and had a half werewolf baby, then Edward turned her and she had to constantly stop herself from killing her own offspring. Maybe I should take over writing this series, hmmmm. Oh, btw I guess I can't legitimately critique your critique since I'm only half way through the book. Had to put it down for THE OTHER BOELYN GIRL which is better!

Unknown said...

I have to say that I loved Eclipse and Twilight (I liked Twilight better than Eclipse-the whole mystery of who Edward is and all that), but New Moon has been my favorite of the 3 books (I love the reunion-that's why I suffer the pain of no Edward). I'm also a little nervous about the cast for the movie-I figure that I'll have to watch it and not try to compare it to Twilight-if that's possible. I read the MTV interview with Kristen Stewart and she already bugs. Sad.

Laurie P. said...

I feel it necessary to comment since I was one of the first persons to convince you to read Twilight. The story is what it is! You can't make it be how you want it to be, you just have to enjoy the ride, know what I mean? Hillary-loved, loved, loved your comments, we must spend more time together :) Is there a book The Other Boelyn Girl? Or just the movie?